Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

RAIN

















RAIN
The rain is falling as a Spring Shower moves onto the mountain. It falls as if it were on call just for my enjoyment. It is not coming in torrents, but as a simple spring rain shower as if Mother Nature knows it is time to wash this part of the mountain and I want to watch.

It falls for a few minutes as I watch and it seems as if a miracle happens. The flowers slowly open their petals, the mountain dust is washed from the stems and branches of flowers of every color. It is a shower to give life to the shrubs, trees and flowers here in the mountains where I am contentedly sitting on the deck of our family cabin as if I am waiting to take in a magic show as I have many times in the past.

After a short time and a few lightning flashes, as if to let me know that it is just a summer mountain storm, all the actors move on down the mountain and the sun comes out shining brightly and making all the trees, flowers and shrubs sparkle as if it was proudly showing off Mother Nature’s majesty again. I feel like I am almost hypnotized by the nature show I have just witnessed again.

When a mountain shower comes to the mountain it takes on a new life of its own. When it is over the sky turns the bluest blue you have ever seen. The white clouds are a whiteness that is almost impossible to explain. The birds come out and start chirping as if calling to each other to come out to the clean new world.
And I sit on my deck with a smile on my face, contented beyond measure by what I have witnessed and wondering if I had just watched a magic show staged by Mother Nature?

Of course all rain storms are not mountain showers. Some are accompanied by loud, tremendous thunder, torrents of rain that you cannot see through. The thunder scares the “little ones” and sometimes even us adults. Some storms are predecessors of hurricanes and some turn into huge floods---but these are for another time and another Blog.

W.R. Baldwin 
8 January 2015   




  

No comments:

Post a Comment