Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

JUST A FRIEND

I don't know who put this picture on the internet but I borrowed it several years ago
Just the picture, the rest is mine. WB














                                                                             
JUST A FRIEND
He was just a boy sitting beside the road,
With his dog snuggled at his feet.
As I drove by he waved at me
And his dog’s tail did start to beat.

I had noticed him before as I drove that way,
And I went busily on my way.
But as I went by this day I thought to myself
Why does seeing him there bother me so much today?

The boy and his dog sat there every day
And I thought to myself why does he not go and play?
I thought I would stop and talk and see
Does he wave to everyone or only to me?

I stopped next day just as he gave his dog a hug
And just watching this boy and his dog, gave my heart a tug.
We sat on the lawn and talked a while
And when I left we both had a great big smile.

He told me next day to stop and meet his friends.
He also said the surprises will never end.
I had stopped as a stranger, and now we were friends,
But that is not how this story ends.

I just sat down the next day and around the corner she came,
Huffing and Puffing in her Spandex and “Tennies.”
She waved and she smiled and ran on up the road.
Jimmie laughed and said,” she is in her “Happy Lady” mode.

Again I just sat down and some teen-agers came “cruzzing.”
They are my friends, they sure are amusing.
They stopped for a minute, and one gave Jim a book,
His “Grams” sat on the porch and gave him “that look.”

Then I heard a roar that I could not explain
And around the corner “Jimmie’s Dragon" came.
It was a BIG BLACK Dodge jacked up, with Pipes and chrome.
Black smoke poured out of the pipes, and the engine did moan.

I thought the show was over and I told Jim I should go,
But he thought there were others I should get to know.
Then I heard a noise only one thing could make.
It was Bill on his Harley, as a big turn he did make.

I looked up the sidewalk and started to “Gawk.”
Jimmie said it was “Gramps & Grams” out for a walk.
He hobbled on his walker and she in her JAZZY
And Jimmie said to me, “Don’t they look “snazzy.”

I learned a lesson from a boy and his dog.
Don’t walk around with your thoughts in a fog.
If you wave and are happy, I am sure you will find
Someone just waiting for you to be kind!


W.R. Baldwin  10 March 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment