Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Life in Mohrland & Hiawatha JPG



                    LIFE IN MOHRLAND & HIAWATHA
I was born in my parents’ home, on the side of a hill.
My Mother’s name was Bertrude, and my Dad was Bill.
There was no hospital in the town you see.
But it was good enough for the birth of my friends and me.

My dad taught school there for several years.
Would we have enough to eat was one of our fears,
Especially during the cold depression years,
Sometimes a lack of food caused us real fears.

In my teens things got better, food seemed to abound,
But of course, not in the winter, in that cold white ground.
I started School there with the best kids in the State
And our athletic teams also deemed the best in the State.

My first adventure on a sleigh was no fun at all.
On the same hill I was born on I took a great fall.
The sleigh I was riding, was made to be slick and fast
But the garbage can lid was anchored like a big mast.

I have worn a scar on my nose,--- 70 years now it seems,
Perhaps to remind me, of my sleigh-riding dreams.
I sit here with Myrtle, her pictures and stuff
And it makes me realize that life was not so rough!
         (myrtle is the name of my computer)


       Wallace R. Baldwin 23 October 2019
































No comments:

Post a Comment