Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

"OUR DOUGHBOY"

















                                   THE DOUGHBOY

   I don’t know how I was lucky enough to live in a town with a “Doughboy Statue” when I was young. I did know I was proud of it although I really did not know a lot about it. One thing I do recall is that if anyone asked about it they usually were told, “Oh that is our Doughboy Statue.” Then we could show them the plaque with the names of those who lost their lives in World War I. Later the names of those lost in World War II were added. There also was a plaque added after “The Doughboy” was moved, to honor our servicemen from Korea and Vietnam.
   I have done a little research on the “Doughboy” and the information I found says there were only about 150 of the actual full size “The Spirit of the American Doughboy” statues made. It was originally designed by E. M. Viquesney. As far as I can find out the statue in Hiawatha was made or placed in Hiawatha in May 1922.
   Since the statue was located near the town amusement hall, the confectionary and the bowling alley, in Hiawatha, it was readily available to play on the base which was surrounded by cement pillars and large link chains. During the winter it made a good place to toss a few “snowball’ Hand Grenades” Just like the soldier on the statue was doing.
   During the Christmas Holiday there were usually a Christmas Tree and lights on the pad with the “Doughboy” which was an attraction in town.
   When the troops started coming home from World War II the “Doughboy” seemed, at least to me, to take on more meaning. As I said earlier I am not sure I really had a serious patriotic feeling about it until I came home from my stint in the U.S. Air Force in 1954.
   When the town of Hiawatha was going to be decommissioned there was quite a bit of talk about what would happen to the “Doughboy.
   There is a plaque attached to the base of the statue that explains how it ended up in Price, Utah: This statue was erected in Hiawatha, Utah by the Henry Holdsworth Post #15 of the American Legion May 1922, to honor five men from Hiawatha who died in World War I. In June 1948 eight names were added for those killed in World War II. In 1989 through the efforts and sole expense of American Legion Price Post #3, this statue was graciously donated to Price City by the mayor and town; council of Hiawatha, Utah. The “Doughboy” now stands in the Peace Garden in Price, Utah.
   In 2004 some person or persons vandalized the “Doughboy” while it stood in the Peace Garden in Price. There were many comments in the whole State of Utah and especially by people with ties to Hiawatha and Price. I also am sure the vandals had no idea what a hornets’ nest they had stirred up when they broke parts from the statue, for what I guess they thought was a thrill.  Mario DiCaro sent an eloquent letter to the editor of The Sun Advocate at the time.
   The statue was repaired and rededicated and again stands in the Peace Garden where I hope he spends many happy years and provides many years of memories.
   There are many write ups about the “Doughboy” on the Internet:
The Sun Advocate also has articles in its archives.
The pictures were either taken by me or given to me by friends.


Wally Baldwin May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment