Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

SEEKING TREASURES

                                SEEKING TREASURES
   I walked into the room with a folding chair in one hand and a big cardboard box in the other hand. Today was to be the day to sort out the good stuff from the junk that I had been collecting for over 50 years. The room I walked into used to be my office. However two years ago I moved my office upstairs and this room has sit, pretty much untouched for two years.
   There are boxes of papers, piles of papers, on chairs, on the floor and on card tables. There is a box of “floppy discs” (do you know what a floppy disc is? No it is not what causes a sore back.) There are scrap books, photo albums piled in assorted places and even some lined up neatly on bookcases.
   “Well”, I thought to myself, this place will look a lot different when I am finished tonight. All the junk will be in the garbage can and I will finally know what and where the GOOD STUFF is.
   I knew there were genealogy records galore; I just was not sure which drawer or box they were in. I also was not sure if they had been entered into the Data Base of my computer. Of course I knew that it would take a little while to sort it all out but I also was sure if I kept at it I would soon know what was there, that was worth keeping. If I really hustled it might have it done by the end of the day?
   I had been putting this off for a long time. All the family knows I am a pack-rat but even at that I was pretty sure I knew “about” what was in each box and drawer and in the piles on the floor and chairs. I just needed to rearrange it a little.
   As I walked in the door of the room I wondered if anyone else had a room like this, or was I “one of a kind” when it came to keeping genealogy , and other papers and “junk” that I might need in the future?
   I took a big breath of air and decided to start with one of the bigger boxes, that sit off in the corner, not because I knew what was in it but because I thought starting with a little box was the easy way out. The desk with several drawers looked quite daunting and I did not want to get discouraged right off the bat. I dragged the box out to the center of the floor next to my folding chair and sit down to get started.
   I opened the top and thought of an old Christmas saying, “what to my wondering eyes should appear.” No it was not reindeer; it was some genealogy papers that a gentleman in England sent to me sometime in the 1970’s. They contained information on my family in England clear back in the 1700’s. I then recalled that there were three or four times I tried to find them in the past but could not. Of course the next question that came to mind was.” have I put all this information and the source of the information in my computer Data Base? The only way I could REALLY be sure was to go upstairs get my Lap-Top and bring it down and check it out?  Of course then my mind told me, ”If I have to check each paper this is going to take more than a day?”
   I went up and got the Lap-Top, checked the papers out and “what to my wondering eyes should appear Ha Ha.” I had all the information in my computer Data Base; however I had not listed the sources. I put them in and “miracle of miracles” I had only been at my clean out job for an hour and one half and had ALREADY sorted out ONE PAPER. Mind you I say sorted out because I could not bring myself to throw it away. I just put it on the table to start out a new pile of stuff I need to keep in case I need it in the future.
   Well I kept hard at it until noon and I had perused about one fourth of the first box. I had found some more genealogy records, some letters I had written to my Mom when I was in the US Air Force and a Merit Badge Sash with merit badges attached that I had earned as a Boy Scout—some few years ago!
   Of course I had not been looking for any of this stuff in particular, but my intent was just to sort boxes and drawers to try and determine what I had collected over the years and had I put the genealogy stuff in my Data Base?
   Well by the time 6:00 PM came around I had just finished my first big box. It had become obvious this was not going to be a couple of day’s job and probably not a couple of week’s job. I guess now I can remember why I never finished it when I started it before?
   I threw away a couple of newspaper clippings (that were duplicates). I think I did that just so I could tell myself that I had cleaned out some stuff and had thrown some away.
   At the rate I went today 1 probably got about 1/100th of the room cleaned out. It has become very, very obvious this is not going to be a short time adventure.
   Will someone PLEASE tell me I am not the only one who has a room like this. I am almost afraid to start on the scrap books and picture albums

W.R. Baldwin 9 Feb 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment