Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

MOTHERS DAY

 I wrote this in 1993. The first year after my Mother passed away. In reading it tonight I thought it was still how I felt so I decided to post it. Wally                                

                    Mothers Day     1993 by W.R. Baldwin
The day to honor Mom’s is finally here at last.
It is different this year, not like in the past.
Mom is no longer here in this earthly state.
She has gone to meet our Dad, through the pearly gate.

She has been our anchor, of all things that are good.
We were taught many things. We learned what we could.
“Love at Home” we always sing, in an old Church song.
It was a reality for me, for my whole live long.

This was the first year she was gone, you see.
It was much more different that I thought it would be.
We went to her grave and stood and looked down.
Her body was there under the grass so brown.

But my spirit did rise like the wings of a dove,
When I realized she had gone to a Heaven above.
I thought to myself, and I am sure there were others
Who said,” We need more than one day to honor Mother’s.

This is a day, or so to me it seems
We think about Mother’s and all of their dreams.
To them, their kids will always be great.
They teach them to love and never to hate.

Mom’s want you to grow, to be honest and fair.
They want you to be careful, not fall in a snare
Laid out in the world by designing men
Who hope you forget Mom’s teachings now and then.

Mom’s grandkids and great grandkids were her pride and joy.
It did not matter to her if they were girl or boy.
In her house all lifelong she kept toys in a box.
Spools for the “little ones”, sometimes balls and some just rocks.

As I stand at her grave on this Mother’s Day,
I ponder, I mourn and I think and I pray.
I know we will be together in another life
If we live like we should through good times and strife.

My Mom is special, and my Kid’s Mom is too.
She is a special Mom to them, but she’s my wife too.
Where is the line drawn that says that we
Must honor our Mom’s and our wives separately?

When the day is all over and my thought are gone
I still think of the Mom’s still here and those who are gone.
They give us love in abundance and lots of advice
To honor them at all times would be very, very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment