Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

OLD GLORY

OLD GLORY












    It seems I have attended a lot of funerals this past year and several have had a flag draped casket at the burial ceremony. I guess over the years I had not thought too much about that and maybe even just took it for granted. Of course I knew that anyone who had served in the Military service and had been honorably discharged was eligible to receive a U.S. Flag to cover the casket and that the Department of military affairs would provide one.
   I guess what I had never really thought about was that the flag ceremony should be properly done by proper military representatives.
   The reason for this blog (and my thoughts) is because I recently attended my Brother in law, Merlin Blackburn’s funeral and they had a flag ceremony. For some reason I was more touched than I had been in the past. It really felt patriotic.
   In addition, when the ceremony was over one of my daughters made the comment, “Dad that was beautiful and very impressive. When the time comes I think we need to do that for you.” I agreed with her and I don’t know if her feelings and my feelings were more in tune because the country seems to be more aware of patriotism or if I was standing right next to one of the two people, who were in full dress uniform, on a hot, hot day taking care of this ceremony to honor one of their own?
   I talked to the young airman after and she explained to me that it is not as simple as going to the store and buying a flag, and then draping it over the casket. It should be an authorized burial flag, draped properly, folded properly and presented to the proper person after the “military honors” are concluded. If possible at least one of the uniformed military people should be from the branch of service that the veteran served in. The flag should never be removed from the casket by a person in civilian clothing. It also should never be buried with the casket.
   As I said before I was touched by the precision of the service and I appreciated the young Airman explaining a little about the ceremony to me.
   When the burial was complete I told my daughter, “Yes when my time comes I would like to have the “military honors” ceremony done for me.”

Wally Baldwin
Aug 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment