Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

DO IT YOURSELF

DO IT YOURSELF






   Things are a little different as you get older! At least today was a little different than my normal days, if there is such a thing as a normal day, when you are --older than dirt. 
   I got up today and done all my normal things, shower, read the newspaper, made my bed, the went to MacDonald's for my usual breakfast treat---A #2 w/Large Diet Coke--easy ice. I think the gal has it memorized by now.
   I ate and headed for home. Well when I got here, what to my wondering ears did I hear----- The Carbon Monoxide detector doing it's "beep", "beep" thing.
   The first thing that went through my head was, "can I reach it to take it down, without a ladder?(I have been banned from ladders by my daughters.) 
   Well of course I could---with my left hand holding up my right arm, I finally got the detector off the wall. I changed the batteries and turned it back on. It still kept beeping! So I dug out the instruction manual (sure glad I never throw anything away.) Of course it says if it keeps beeping, either it has been in use to long and is not working properly (somewhat like me) or the batteries are not installed properly. Fat chance of that, they will only fit in ONE WAY. Sooooo I took it over to the fire station to have it checked out. Of course they told me it was either to old or the batteries were installed improperly. Imagine that?
   Well at that point I decided to opt for the old and worn out situation. (I felt I could relate to the worn out thing!) I went to one of the big box stores and found out of course they do not make that model anymore, but they have a replacement that is only about $60.00. I took it and started for the door, but then decided to be frugal. I put it back on the shelf and came home and fired up (Myrtle) my computer and checked out the page for the company that made my old detector. Yes they have a DIRECT replacement, and yes they do cost about $60.00 (at the big box stores.) However you can get them at True Value Stores for $29.00. --WHAT, you mean the exact same thing? Yup the exact same one.
   Well so as not to make this (Very interesting??) Blog any longer, I went to True Value Store and got one. I came home and did the reverse procedure of holding my right arm up with my left hand, I got the screws in the wall and "Viola" I now have a new CO detector.
   Oh ya, and by the way, it only took me about 1/2 a day!!

   GETTING OLD IS GRAND --SOME DAYS?   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment