Pages

Friday, November 27, 2015

SANTA CLAUS

                        SANTA CLAUS


   The frazzled Mom almost dragged her little boy into the barber shop for a haircut. He had needed one for a couple of weeks now, and it was either today--- or who knows when?
   The first words out of the boy’s mouth were, “well how long is this going to take?” As if he had anything more important to do?
   Then he heard a voice from one of the chairs in the front of the shop. “You seem to be in a big hurry young man.”
   There was a big man just getting out of the barber chair. He had a full head of white curly hair and a large white beard, with a pair of little wire rim glasses perched on his nose.
   The young boy just about choked as he starred at him, and said in a voice of wonderment, “are you Santa Claus?”
   And the questions kept coming, not even giving the man time to answer them--- “Do you live in our town or at the North Pole?” “How come you have on Levi’s a plaid shirt and boots?” The boy hurriedly looked out the window and then went on; “and where are your reindeer, and where do you get all the toys?”
   The man put his hand in the air and said, “Whoa, slow down and wait a minute, you are asking questions so fast I can’t even answer them.”
   The barber had great big smile on his face as he flipped his neck cloth that was around the big man’s neck, and big bunches of white hair fell on the floor.
   First off, the man said, “Do you have a name?” The boy said, “Yes sir I sure do. It is Jimmy Hanover, but I like Just Jim better.”
   The man put his hand on the boys shoulder and said,”Come on Jim, let’s sit over here on the bench while we wait for your turn, and I will try and answer your questions.” 
   They sit down and the man said,”Jim I guess that lady that you came in with is your Mom isn’t she.” Jim reckoned that yup it sure was.
   Then the conversation went on; “You asked about the red suit, well it is hard to keep clean so I suppose Santa would only wear it for special occasions, and Christmas sure is one of those special occasions. I am sure Mrs. Claus keeps it clean, hung up and ready to go, especially for the Christmas. I would think Santa wears Levi’s and plaid shirts and boots for work, just like I and most men do.         Jim chimed in, “My dad is in the hospital. He was in a car wreck, but we are hoping he will be home for Christmas.”
   The man said he was sorry to hear that and that he also hoped that Jim’s dad would be home for the Christmas Holidays.
   Jim was listening so intently that he had forgotten that his Mom was there. She called him and said, “Jimmy you come right over here and sit by me, and quit bothering that man.” The big man said, “That is OK ma’am, I love talking to kids.” She told him that it was alright but if he was a bother to him to just send him right over to her, because as you have already found out he is quite a chatter-box.
   Well now you ask about the reindeer, and I am sure you know it is a long way to go clear around the world in One Night, so I think the reindeer just eat and rest most of the time. That is of course all except Rudolph, and I think he just kind of does his own thing most of the time.
   I think Santa just drives a car most of the time, at least until the snow gets to deep. In fact it is probably a lot like that big old Buick Roadmaster, parked out there in the street. It is that red car that looks like it has big teeth in the front, but it is really just the grill.
   Jim seemed to think for a minute and then said,”How come no one sees Santa except at Christmas time?”
   Oh I think people see him and just don’t know it. He probably looks a lot like me when he does not have his Red Suit on. I also am sure he is very, very busy, helping and supervising the Elves. They work all year long getting everything ready for Christmas.
   I suppose he travels around a lot in that big red Buick said Jim.  “Do you think he does Mister?
   Then Jim asked the man if he had a name? He said, Yes I do. It is Nicholas but I prefer “Nick”.
   Jim then told him that his Mom made him call older people Mr. of Mrs. So is it OK if I call you Mr. Nick? Nick told Jim that would be fine, in fact he liked it.
   Jim then asked his new friend Nick if he thought there was snow at the North Pole all year long, and was it cold all the time? Nick told him that he was pretty sure there was snow all the time but he would be surprised if Mr. and Mrs. CLAUS got cold. He told Jim he was pretty sure that they were always toasty warm, and singing and having fun as they worked making toys and getting the sleigh in tip top shape for Christmas Eve.
   Jim set quiet for a few minutes and then looked at Mr. Nick and said, “Are you old Mr. Nick?” Oh my yes, he answered. I am probably just as old as Santa Claus.
   Just then “Blackie” the barber took the neck cloth off of the man in the chair, flipped the hair off and called out, come on Jim you are next.
   Jim headed for the chair, but just as he was going to get in the chair he called to Mr. Nick, “You never did tell me if you were Santa Claus or not.” Nick looked at him, with blue twinkling eyes and said, “Well what do you think Jim?”
   Jim thought for a minute then answered, “well I really think you must be because you are so nice to talk to, and most old people do not like to talk to kids.”
   Mr. Nick said, “Jim I think you are a real smart boy and I agree with you.” Jim got in the chair and Mr. Nick handed Jim’s Mom 2 envelopes. He turned to the barber and said, “Ho Ho Ho “Blackie”, I will see you next time I pass through.
   Jims Mom looked at the envelopes that Nick had given her and one said, (Jim’s Mom open now). She opened it and the note said—I will be bringing Jim a shiny Flexible Flyer Sled for Christmas but do not tell him. The 2nd envelope said (Jim-Open Now.)  Jim’s Mom gave him the note it simply said—Jim you are a good boy and I will be bringing you a wonderful gift for Christmas.—and Thanks for visiting with me at the barber shop today—SANTA
                                                              SO
                        Did Jim visit with SANTA in the barber shop—perhaps?
                Did Jim get a new Flexible Flyer for Christmas---Of course he did.
         Does Jim believe in Santa Claus---of course he does: And so does his Mom.

WRBaldwin

27 Nov 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment