Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2016

EMPTY NESTER

                                       EMPTY NESTER
W.R. Baldwin
12 June 2016
Is an Empty Nester, really a person or a place?
Or just a topic of conversation that we like to embrace?
An Empty Nest can be anyplace, so it seems to me,
In a very large city, a country town, or even in a tree.

Of course the one I speak of in my Blog today,
Is a Human home, when the kids have gone away?
They have all left the roost, but still come to visit.
They do come and spend time, but it’s not too long,-- IS IT?

Sometimes two are left in that empty nest,
And sometimes only one is left there to rest.
The nest is still the same size, and love still does abound,
But like a couple of marbles we seem to just roll around.

The Empty Nesters grow older, and so do those that are gone,
We look out the window, but see no young ones on the lawn.
The days seem to be longer- but I know it’s not so,
But the evening sun does go down very, very slow.

It is part of the plan we agreed to when we came here,
When we did not know of the “Empty Nester Fear.”
We knew we would come and stay in a nest for a while,
Then we would find a companion and have our own nest a while.

My girls have grown up and left for nests of their own.
My son has passed on, it seem like before he was grown.
My Wife and I were together 56 years in our nest.
I think when our home was full is when it was best.

We can’t just quit living when our family has left.
We all have an Earth Plan to finish our quest.
We are older it’s true and we can’t do as much,
Even if we try hobbling on a crutch.

Now I am alone in my Empty Nest and there are no rules for me.
When I get up in the morning I think, “Is there a place I should be?
Then some times the nest is a place I despise.
Sometimes out of bed, I do not want to rise.

Those who left me in my nest alone,
Now have “Empty Nests” of their own,
And their Earth Plan keeps moving, they are on the go
I am indeed quite happy OUR life plans were slow.

One thing I have not conquered here in my nest,
Is called a cell phone and it is a pest.
If it rings more than once and I do not say “hello,”
I get a call on my “old phone” and the question I hear---

WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU-??

No comments:

Post a Comment