Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

KEYS

                  KEYS












   I have been cleaning out some boxes and drawers in my basement (again) and I run into a collection of old keys. Some of them were at least 75-80 years old. Then that reminded me of the key collage that has been hanging on our wall as long as we have owned this home. They, of course are really only interesting to members of our family. The chain full of keys on the left hand side are just a bunch of “keys of many kinds.” The ones in the middle of the  frame on the right were for my childhood home, and my dad’s union desk. It is funny when I think of it that the house was hardly ever locked and the desk was never unlocked unless Dad was using it.
   It is funny that now none of these keys have any intrinsic value. However as I am a dedicated pack-rat I seem to keep things for ever, valuable of not.
   As I thought about Keys my gray matter turned to ward many things. Of course it was the keys in these pictures that started all my thinking.
   So what does the word KEY bring to your mind? I would imagine a piece of metal of a certain shape to open a certain thing. Perhaps a door, drawer, padlock, start a car, or many other things. Of course perhaps you thought of keys on a typewriter, word processor, telephone, credit card type key, or ATM. A lot of these keys did not exist when I was a youth.
   Then there is the phrase we hear a lot, “keys to the kingdom.” But then this is a completely different kind of key in many ways, but a lot the same in other ways.
   A key whether in a temporal way or a spiritual way is to give us access to certain things, such as—(Temporal: House, car, office, telephone) and Spiritual: Temple, certain activities in Churches, Authority to do certain things in in Churches.
   Of course we can lose either temporal or spiritual keys, however in both cases if we lose them, we may find them and be able use them again.
   Here are a couple of examples that happened to people close to me: She was at the grocery store and when she came out and tried to put her groceries in the car, she pushed the little button on the key ring to open the door.  Nothing happened, and she tried two or three times and still nothing. She was frustrated, she took out her cell phone and called AAA and told them what was wrong and they sent a man over to help her out. When he got there she rehearsed her problem to him. He took her keys, puched the little button and behold the trunk lid (on a car just like hers that was parked about 6 cars away) immediately popped up. After laughing, discussing and wondering how often that happened, she offered to pay him.  He just laughed and told her 'Oh No,' you just made my day as he laughingly walked toward his truck.
   A similar but slightly different ending happened to the same woman. She had been shopping and she came out to get in her car. She pressed the little button on her key ring and nothing happened. She got a little frustrated (and I wonder if she checked to make sure it was her car?) She called her grandson and told him what was going on , and would he come and get her? He told her to try once more before he drove all the way over there. She tried again, punching the little button as hard as she could this time. Still Nothing. Then he asked her if the key went in the key slot OK. Well she never even thought about using a REAL KEY, because she always just pushed the button and the car unlocked. Of course when she tried the KEY, it worked great and now the family has another family story to pass on?
   I am not sure about others but I seem to have little keys in my memory bank that remind me of other keys. Sometimes this is not a good thing because I hop from one to another, most of the night as I try to go to sleep.
   Then there are the picture albums and journals that can keep you hopping from one to the other for hours or days at a time. Is that some little memory keys fault?
   As I mentioned before, in the Church I belong to, “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”, we either have, or have the opportunity to receive many spiritual keys during our lifetime. The first ones that I think of are the keys of the Temple—not physical , but spiritual keys.
   Bro. Kent F. Richards recently gave a talk speaking about these spiritual keys. He said,”The Lord has revealed the fullness of the Melchizedek Priesthood, it is found in the Temple and its ordinances, for therein are the Keys of the holy priesthood ordained.”

   A man on Temple Square for a tour asked a missionary why he could not go inside the temple? The Elder conducting the tour told him, anyone can go into the Temple, if the have all the keys needed to do it. So the man replied that he really had a desire to go inside, so what would he have to do? The missionaries response that he would love to start him on the path, but it might take a year or more to actually receive all the spiritual keys to enter.  The man’s answer was a classic. He said. “I don’t think I would like to spend that much time and effort just to enter a building.” The additional information,  of course we, “as members of the Church,” know that it is not just any OLD BUILDING.-----( W.R. Baldwin 29 Jun 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment