Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

HABITS

                      
                          
The elderly man and his sister were sitting in a restaurant. They were almost finished with their lunch and were using up some time, just talking & visiting.

Every once in a while the man would snicker or give a little quiet laugh. Then he snickered once and pointed to a couple of ladies (about 40 years old), who were sitting in a booth behind them. After giggling a couple of times he whispered, pointing to them, and said “listen to that, it sounds like us.”

Just as he said that, the Blond in the booth (Pat, we found out her name 
Later) said, “So how are you doing with your New Year’s Resolutions?” Her friend Carol said she was doing just great and had kept almost every one so far. She congratulated her for her effort and then asked her how she was doing with her drinking habit? Carol told her of course that was the one resolution she had a problem with. She said, I made it for six days, but then I just gave up. I really enjoy it and I don’t think it really hurts anything.  You know they are always testing to find out if it really hurts anything with your health. I don’t think one or two a day hurts anything?

Their neighbors had changed the subject so he and his sister just visited and sipped on their drinks. Every once in a while they would snicker or grin about something the neighbors in the booth behind them said.

Then Pat commented, “Helen says she quit ‘cold turkey’ and it has been fourteen days now since we all decided to quit, and she says she can’t understand why we waited so long, because she feels great now? Then she put her hand up beside her mouth, in a kind of ‘fake whisper’ and said, “I am not so sure that Helen always tells the truth,”

Pat made the comment that the thing that really ‘bugs’ her is when she goes to the fridge to get something else and she opens the door  and there one of them sits. It looks like it was waiting to tempt me. If I really wanted to listen I’ll bet it would say, Oohh come on, just one will not hurt.

Carol---Ya if you go out to lunch, what do you drink, water is so passé.

Pat---I thought it was unusual for my mouth to water, every time I see one of those things, and even sometimes when I just think about them. I decided to ask around and almost everyone said that ya, it affected them the same way!

Well the two ladies finished their lunch and left, probably still wondering if Helen always told the truth?

The elderly couple soon left also, commenting that they had received their entertainment for the day. After they got in their car and buckled up he said. “You know listening to them is almost like listening to a couple of addicts.”

Sister--- laughed and said Ya, did you ever have a hard time giving the stuff up
Brother--- No I have never had a hard time. Whenever I wanted to quit, I just did it! I’ll bet I quit 50 times or more last year. I guess one thing that really does bother me is when I want one at 10:30 at night. Usually I have quit a few days ago and there is not one in the house. Well I have to put my coat and shoes on and make a 7-11 run.

It is not because I really NEED one it is just because I WANT one and they taste SO GOOD!

W.R. Baldwin
18 January 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment