Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

FUNERALS & FRIENDS

   I attended a funeral today for a long time friend and his family. Of course they say that funerals are held for the person that has passed away, and that may be true. However I know they are also held for the family that is left behind. 
   I talked today to his wife of many, many years and to his children who grew up with my children. We reminised about many things we did together over the years and the fun times we have had and friendships we enjoyed.
   Someone once told me the joy is in the journey and not just the beginning and the end. As I get older I realize that is very, very true.
   When I got home I started rummaging through some of my old "stuff"and found the little note here below.
   I think it is still up to date--------

Wally



             FUNERALS & FRIENDS

My wife and I sat in the funeral that day,
And listened to what people had to say.
They talked about friends in the days of yore.
Some were young and some old, who entered the door.

I thought to myself, “What is a friend to me?”
Is that hard to decide, or easy to see.
Some we call friends are from long days past.
Where we made friendships that would forever last.

Sometimes in our youth, our lifetime friends we pick,
Those that will stay with us through thin and thick.
Some friends we pick as older we grow.
Some will always stick by us and some will go.

Whoever they are, these friends that we choose,
It is a comfort to know that we will not loose
Their friendship and comfort as life goes on
Perhaps even after the resurrection’s dawn?

W.R. Baldwin

April 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment