Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

NIGHT and DAY

Sunset at the cabin August 2002
















                    NIGHT & DAY
The sun slowly slips behind the mountain
And the night birds start to sing.
I sit on my deck and wonder
What will the next morning bring?

In the distance I hear a coyote start to wail,
And a deer runs past the cabin woodpile.
And I think to myself what a wonderful tale
I could tell, with a great big smile.

Soon all the light was gone and the sky was black as ink,
With hundreds of stars peeking out above.
And I smiled to myself as I started to think
Our Father created this for us, with his love.

What is out there in the dark, I thought to myself?
The aspens that shimmered are now still.
Is that noise in the dark a bear or a deer?
Is it something to love or something to fear?

I thought to myself what a difference there is
Between the day and the inky black night.
What is out in the dark that we can hear
That causes us to tremble with fright?

So I shut all the doors and turn out the lights
And pull up the covers for another night.
I dream of the beauty that the morning will bring,
And in just a short time the birds start to sing.


And the cycle from evening to morning is over.
I look out the window at bees on the clover,
And see a beautiful hawk sitting there in a tree
Perhaps just to give joy to you and to me.

And the day starts anew and I yawn and I sneeze,
And the wind ruffles the leaves on the aspen trees.
A deer runs on past the cabin woodpile
And I start a new day with a great big old smile.


W.R. Baldwin

While at the cabin in August 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment