Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2015

LIKES & DISLIKES

                                  
                      



LIKES AND DISLIKES












                      LIKES & DISLIKES

I think it is very obvious that everyone has likes and dislikes and there is no way that anyone wants to list all of their likes and dislikes. I did want to get into this a little so as I sit one night in a motel room in Idaho Falls, Idaho, many years ago I brainstormed this subject for a couple of hours and this is what I ended up with!
I LIKE the smell of Christmas trees---The first fall snow on mountain peaks---old barns---an eagle soaring in a blue sky---the smell of new cowboy boots---Yellowstone Park---and riding a snowmobile on untracked snow.

I DISLIKE rude, sullen teenagers---wind---radio and TV commercials---flat tires---fog---fishing alone---a ballpoint pen that will not write---and the smell at the zoo.

I LIKE western music---night rodeos---good books---classical music---the smell of a new car--- and Christmas morning with children.

I DISLIKE hard rock music---the smell of burned hair---mud---slick roads---clothes that fit to tight---strange towns---and drivers that tailgate.

I LIKE smiling happy teenagers---Spring---birds singing in the mornings---fruit trees in blossom---roses ---Australian accents---Fall---and the full moon reflecting on winter snow.

I DISLIKE spiders---the phone ringing late at night---traffic jams---dirty windows---breaking in new boots---being sick---and left lane freeway drivers.

I LIKE the sight of a beautiful horse---the gentle rain on the roof---comfortable old shoes---old movies---soothing music---sunsets over Great Salt Lake---and to sit on front of a warm fireplace in Winter.

I DISLIKE crowded campgrounds---cloudy days---mini-skirts on older women---dull pencils---televisions in the kitchen---empty ice trays---and continued next week television shows.

I LIKE holding my grand children---campfires---being in the Temple---a field of mountain flowers--- a rushing mountain stream---a warm day in winter---new babies---and the sight of a pristine mountain meadow.

I DISLIKE a fireplace that smokes---people who whisper in the Temple---gossip---funerals---hospitals—cigarette smoke---dirty snow---and “holier than thou people.”

I LIKE the sight of animals in the wild---the sounds of waves breaking on the shore---a big order--- the smell of homemade bread---the smell of lilacs in bloom---football games---fishing with a friend--- and traveling with my wife.

I DISLIKE being alone in a motel room---dead animals on the highway---icy sidewalks---dirty clothing on the floor---drawers hanging open---poor losers---and people who take games too seriously.

I LIKE a kind word from the Boss---soft deep new carpet---pepperoni---the beginning of a new year--- the smell of new sawdust---other people’s dogs--- and a well prepared Church lesson.

I DISLIKE being interviewed by ANYONE---soggy newspapers---shirts missing buttons---unmade beds---sweet pickles---and zippers that don’t zip or unzip.

I LIKE waking up feeling good---the smell of the soap factory---vacations---the smell of spice after shave---to snuggle my wife---women’s perfume---black jelly beans---crisp apples---and the smells in the house at Thanksgiving time.

I DISLIKE smelly ashtrays in a restaurant---painting anything---women smoking---wilted green salad--- complaining people---bus fumes at intersections--- and political promises.

I LIKE my daughters---my son---my grandchildren---my son-in laws---my whole family---and especially my loving wife Donnie who has put up with my likes and dislikes for all these years. And for her loving, giving, and forgiving personality.

As I said in the beginning everyone has his or her likes and dislikes. I imagine if some psychologist got hold of this he could analyze it and come to some conclusion as to what makes me tick. Or better still maybe why I do not tick?

In reading it over before I typed it I feel that I am about like the majority of other people I know in my likes and dislikes, and that is not to strange, because I have said for years that we as a people seem to attract and associate with people with similar interests. Enough of LIKES & DISLIKES.

Written 1988 in Idaho Falls, Idaho
By: W.R. Baldwin

Although this was written a long time ago I just run onto it a few days ago as I was cleaning out some old desk drawers. In reading it I decided not a lot has changed in all those years--except of course the things I cannot do anymore because all of my parts do not function as well as they used to. ----------But it is still pretty much how I think so here it is and maybe it will bring back some memories to some of you.
Wally

No comments:

Post a Comment