Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Stringed Musical Instruments



                     Stringed Musical Instruments

                          MUSIC TO CALM THE SOUL
   When I was young I don’t think I ever heard a violin, or any other stringed instrument being played. If I did it must not have impressed me as I sure do not remember it.—Then of course when I finished up this blog I realized that is a not a true statement, because a violin and a fiddle are pretty much the same instrument, but usually playing different types of music. That is actually not a completely true answer either, but it is the easy answer.
   As I got older I realized I actually liked and perhaps even enjoyed listening to stringed musical instruments making easy listening music. When I was in my mid teens I purchased a 33 RPM record that I enjoyed. It was The Grand Canyon Suite and there were a lot of crescendo’s in it, as well as the comforting strings. I used to lay on our front room floor and listen to it for hours.
   If course I am in no way a music “aficionado” in any way, but just a guy that knows what kind of music I enjoy.
   I don’t know exactly when I realized stringed music was comforting, calming and serene. Maybe that is where the old saying that certain music came to be known as, “music to calm the beast in Man.”  
   Many, many years ago I moved into an area where lived a man that taught Cello music. He also played a beautiful Cello, and for the first time in my life I realized a Cello and a Violin could be played solo and make beautiful, calming music by their selves. (Of course with a trained musician—Ha Ha.) Everytime this fellow played the Cello in Church I was completely relaxed. I also felt the same way when a beautiful violin solo was played.
   My wife spent quite some time in Care Centers during her last few years. There were several times when a stringed quartet came to play for an activity. Each time we both made the comment about how calming and relaxing it was. And I learned something new again. I learned that a string quartet is usually made up of two Violins, one Viola and one Cello. She commented once to me that she thought that must be what the angelic music must sound like, and I agreed with her and while I listened and meditated I was completely relaxed. The first time they played, I talked to them when they were finished and got a lesson on the difference in a viola and a violin.
   I guess there are a lot of instruments, in fact hundreds if you thought about them on a world wide basis. Some that I am sure fit that category are, Harp- Banjo- Guitar- Ukulele and a long list of others.
   As I sit here for a couple of nights. Pondering what to put in this blog, I realized I have been concentrating on stringed music that to me is relaxing, soothing and tranquil.
   One night a couple of years ago I was watching TV and a young lady came on, walking across the stage and calmly playing the violin, so I decided to watch the show.
   The next thing I knew she was dancing, running, jumping and doing gymnastics all while she was playing a violin. The only word I could think of at the time was that this young lady was phenomenal.
   Her name was Lindsey Stirling. She, for sure, gave me a different outlook on playing the violin. It was vibrant, loud and active. She probably burned up more calories during a one hour presentation than any superstar athlete. I have never seen her preform again but I could easily become a fan if I watched TV or went to concerts.       
   So a couple of things, that are just my opinion, to sign off here-----
   A Fiddle and a violin are pretty much the same instrument: the big difference is the music they play and where they play it.
   A Viola is mostly just a bigger Violin with a different sound (easy explanation.)
   I know for a fact (my humble opinion) a Cello makes beautiful music as a solo. I love to listen to Richard as he seems to be a perfectionist.
   While working on this blog I asked a few people (who probably know less that I do about music,) for opinions and help.
   One of the answers I got when I asked the difference between a Violin and a Fiddle was, ----He heard an old story once that you might get beer or catsup on your instrument if you played a Fiddle, but that would never happen when playing a Violin.      

W.R. Baldwin

5 Oct 2015

  


No comments:

Post a Comment