Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

A SMALL TOWN

I did not feel well today so I did not do much, however I started shuffling some of my old papers and I run on to this one I wrote in 1994 about the small town I grew up in. There are probably not a lot of people interested in it but it might bring back memories of your old home town and some of the things you did growing up.






A SMALL TOWN
I spent my life in a very small town,
Nestled snugly in the bottom of the hills.
As kids our life was so full of joy
We needed no big city frills.

Our men worked hard as they dug for the coal
Which fueled cities and factories far away.
The town revolved around “Old King Coal”
And each person had a part to play.

As kids we didn’t know of Nintendo and TV,
Our entertainment we had to seek.
Sometimes it was stilts, and sometimes kites,
But many times, just a hike by the creek.

There were places remembered by all who lived there
We were at one or the other each week.
They were Pine Springs, Hamburger Flat, The San Rafel
Or a good long hike to Strawberry Peak.

At the old swimming hole, up the canyon North Fork
In the summer the kids could be found.
We did swim in our birthday suits most of the time
And it is amazing that no one was drowned.

The Amusement Hall was in the center of town.
Our activities were inside and out on the lawn.
We had movies and dances and ball games and such.
On the lawns were the picnics, whose memories we clutch.

The Fourth of July was the all out celebration.
To us kids is was surly the best in the nation,
We had games and drinks and foodstuffs galore.
It’s too bad our kids don’t do it anymore.


A small town that is thriving is a sight to see.
Everyone living and helping, like a big family.
One drawback we had in a town this small,
Everyone knew about everyone, everything, ALL.

We didn’t have telephones to pass on the word,
But we had meeting places for one and for all.
There was the post office, mine office and company store.
And of course most important the Amusement Hall.

As a kid I walked everywhere both near and far
Of course it was for the lack of a car.
It was a mile to town and a long mile back,
Many times carrying groceries home in a sack.

I grew up in that town a long time ago
And the memories still flash through my mind.
All of us who lived there many years ago
Still have many memories I find.

Many did come from Europe to dwell
In that small town we all knew so well.
They came from Japan, Italy, Sweden and Greece  
They came to these mountains to dig coal in peace.

The names in the town tell a story I know,
East Hiawatha, West Hiawatha and Silk Stocking Row,
Stringtown, Jap Town, Greek Town and Tram Town,
The Flat Tops, Flat Town and even UP TOWN.

My friends and I lived there in eternal bliss.
And now I am older, it’s a place I do miss.
We still get together, the young and the old,
And many stories of HIAWATHA at reunions are told.  

By W.R. Baldwin
Sep 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment