Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2014

THE PACK RAT

Top Left --The keys to the treasures
Middle--The Heavyweight Tennis Racquet
Bottom left--Trolling Pole , made from a broken
Que Stick and a piece of bamboo.













                                      THE PACK RAT

   I was looking for a specific type of screw the other day and having a hard time finding it. Mind you I knew I had it, the problem was it had been a long time since I needed one and I am sure I had put it away in place where I would not accidentally throw it out, and I would know where it was if I needed one!
   After going through the basement and the garage, I decided to go buy one. Well when I go to the store I remember why I kept the ones I bought last time. I needed ONE and of course they came in a pkg. of 24.
   My search for the missing screw was not all in vain however as I found a lot of treasures that I forgot I had.
   In thinking about my daily adventure I wondered if my saving thing was just a defect in my thinking process, or if it was just a Man thing that most men can’t seem to get rid of little treasures? Here is a list of items I found and some of them have been around for over 50 years. Mind you I was not looking for any of them, except the screws, so don’t you think they must be valuable or I would have thrown them away, sometime during a moving time from one of four houses. Then I think why would I keep them 10, 30, 50 or even 1or 2 years?
   Here is my treasure trove of things I found. Let me know if you think you might have a similar list. And by the way don’t mention it to any of the ladies, as they just would not understand Ha Ha.
1.A quart fruit jar full of bent nails that I am going to straighten, one of these days.
2.A part off of a snowmobile that has not been made for about 40 years and I sold mine about 25 years ago.
3.A bamboo fly rod that is all packaged up to be returned to the mfg. to have a new guide and a new tip put on it. I am sure it has been all packed addressed and ready to ship for about 35 years.
4.An old cardboard candy box, they used to pack chocolates in. However it was full of marbles that I had in High School. In rummaging through it I think my old “Aggie Taw” was in it.
5.A pair of “Hush Puppy” golf shoes, which I just could not live without, and of course I could not throw away.
6. One LARGE shelf of Church magazines. Now they are all on my Android, which I carry in my shirt pocket, but I still cannot part with them.
7.A fishing rod, for trolling, that my Uncle helped me make in the 1950’s. There is no way I could part with that.
8.One well used “Underwood” type writer that I had to buy when I worked out of my house as a salesman in the 1950’s.
9. A Coleman lantern that burns “white gas”, not propane. I am sure it has not been out of the box for 45 years or so.
10. A wood tennis racquet that I am sure weighs 5 lbs. or more.
11.Of course with all these treasures I had to have a key to lock each of them up—I found them also but I have no idea what they are for?

   This list could go on forever but you get the idea? Have I got a problem or is this just a normal thing for the “Average American Male?”  

   I am really going to think about it, and the next time I need a bolt or some duct tape I can start the procedure all over. As I will probably still be the proud owner of all my treasures.   

No comments:

Post a Comment