Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

TRIBUTE TO MY DAD ON FATHERS DAY

                            
Since it is almost Father's Day I have been thinking about my Dad. It is hard to believe that he has been gone for 33 years. So much can happen in that length of time. Fortunately we have a lot of great memories as a family, not only when we were young but also including many when we were no so young. I suppose some can be great memories and some not so great. I am gratful we grew up as a close family. I also happy we had Uncles, Aunts & cousins living in the same town when we were children. That makes for great memories.

This is a tribute I wrote for my Dad at the time of his funeral.

                           TRIBUTE TO WILLIAM BALDWIN
                                                      BY
                                 WALLACE RAY BALDWIN
16 Feb 1981

I sat on the front row at the funeral, you see
I am the son of the deceased William B.
He has passed the veil to the other side.
Some who do not know better, say he has died.

His last year on earth was sorrow and pain.
I am sure he was happy to leave this earth-plane.
He suffered from cancer, the scourge of the living.
His earth pains are over, in peace he’s now living.

The poet has said that death is sweet.
But I think they say that just to be discrete.
Dad suffered so, he could hardly stand it.
Death and its sting for him would end it.

Mom and my Sis took care of all his needs.
Now to his mansion above he hurriedly speeds.
His earthly remains are in front of us now.
His spirit is gone, perhaps left with a bow.

Dad has gone now, to be with Estella and Bill,
To perhaps find a place for us, later to fill.
To our Father in Heaven and those passed on,
To his Kingdom in Heaven, we hope he has gone.

His sojourn on Earth was Clerk, Miner and Teacher.
To us, his children he was never a preacher.
His bad habits, he told us don’t emulate,
Just because I do them don’t make them so great.

Later in life he did see the great light.
He and Mom went to the Temple with much delight.
We were all sealed together. Mom, Dad, Geri and I,
That day in the Temple and we all did cry.

That day in the Temple I knew our life had changed.
I knew a Heavenly reunion could be arranged.
Dad has now gone there and is waiting you see,
For us to live worthy, so that reunion can be.

Sometimes death is not sweet, nor serene, nor calm.
Sometimes it is painful and those left behind need balm,
For we sorrow and we are lonely and our grief is great,
But don’t forget Dad’s in Heaven now, to wait for his mate.

We passed from the Church, in a procession long,
After we had sung to Dad, a good-by song.
We met at the place where he would rest his head.
A prayer was said and many tears were shed.

But many of us were aware at this occasion,
That Dad would rise for the glorious resurrection.
We also knew----because we had been taught,
We would be together again. --- not just in thought.

So Dad’s life on earth ends and they replace the sod.
At his resting place. But he is with God.
In the Heavens above, in his Kingdom you see.
He is waiting there for you and also for me.


Thoughts
By W.R. Baldwin
At his Dad’s funeral


No comments:

Post a Comment