Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

MY GRANDMA

MY GRANDMA
A couple of weeks after Donnie's funeral one of her grand daughters wrote this and gave it for me to keep.
I decided it would be better off on my blog than it would be just sitting on the hard drive of my computer, with no one ever feeling the spirit of it as I did when I first read it.  Wally





My Grandma
Miss my Grandma. Love my Grandma.
When thinking of grandma these past couple weeks, this poem kept coming to mind:

A woman was waiting at the airport one night,
With several long hours before her flight.
She hunted for a book in the airport shop,
Bought a bag of cookies and found a place to drop.

She was engrossed in her book, but happened to see,
That the man beside her, as bold as could be,
Grabbed s cookie or two from the bag between,
Which she tried to ignore to avoid a scene.

She read, munched cookies, and watched the clock,
As the gutsy “cookie thief” diminished her stock.
She was getting more irritated as the minutes tick by,
Thinking, “If I wasn’t so nice, I’d blacken his eye!”

With each cookie she took, he took one too.
When only one was left, she wondered what he’d do.
With a smile on his face and a nervous laugh,
He took the last cookie and broke it in half.

He offered her half, and he ate the other,
She snatched it from him and thought, “Oh brother,
This guy has some nerve, and he’s also so rude,
Why, he didn’t even show any gratitude!”

She had never known when she had been so galled.
And sighed with relief when her flight was called.
She gathered her belongings and headed for the gate,
Refusing to look at the “thieving ingrate.”

She boarded the plane and sank in her seat,
Then sought her book, which was almost complete.
As she reached in her baggage, she gasped with surprise.
There were her bag of cookies in front of her eyes!

“If mine are here,” she moaned with despair,
Then the others were his and he tried to share!”
Too late to apologize, she realized with grief,
That she was the rude one, the ingrate, the thief!

I wish I could sit here and say that I wouldn’t be ticked off if somebody was eating my cooks…But I know I’d be WAY ticked especially if they were chocolate. I guess I kept thinking of this poem because I know that grandma would be the one sharing her cookies… with anybody. That’s how I’ll always remember her. Truly loving everybody, unconditionally, Humble, kind and good.

On December 1st, 2012, my sweet grandma was taken up to heaven. The funeral was beautiful. I hadn’t been to one since I was little. It was truly humbling to see how many people not only cared about grandma, but considered her to be one of their best friends. Tears were shed and memories remembered. What I loved most were all the personal stories everybody had to share of how good grandma was. I don’t think it’s possible to put into words how good of a person grandma is. The speakers did a great job though. The grandkids sang as best they could, but I think Caleb stole the show. I’m so grateful to have grandma as an example in my life. I couldn’t ask for a better grandma, she sure set the bar pretty high, but I love that I get to think “what would grandma do?” when I’m put in difficult situations. I love you grandma.

Here are some grandma memories I never want to forget:
-          Easter egg hunts in the backyard.
-          Spending the day with the cousins and grandma and grandpa. That usually meant McDonalds for lunch.
-          The only time I’ve EVER seen grandma get ticked was when she was babysitting when I was little and I was being a REAL stinker and wouldn’t get ready for dance.
-          Christmas: Sitting on Santa’s lap and playing with grandma’s AMAZING Christmas Village.
-          Her love of the Utah JAZZ and Diet Coke.
-          Cruising around in her JAZZY chair.
-          Visiting her in the care center. She was always concerned more about others.
-          Grandma & Grandpa always had the best Disney movies; they’d even let us borrow them.
-          Grandma’s craft group, always making things for others.

-          Grandma never wanted to miss a party, whether it was Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even just getting together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment