Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

POLITICS

POLITICS

   I have never really been into politics very much. It always seemed to me that both parties were saying things that were almost diametrically opposed so one of them must be lying, or at least not telling the whole truth. I have always voted, I have perused the platforms read about the candidates to see if they felt like I did on the important subjects. Then I went and voted.
   During the last couple of years things have changed. Politics has become harsh. (Maybe it has always been that way and I did not notice it?)
   When I first started doing my (Wally’s Musings) blog I said there would be very little said about politics and religion. Oh- I am willing to talk about them but I see too many people in public screaming, swearing and becoming emotionally involved for my taste. It seems political times have become very harsh.
   Perhaps there are many of you that have become afraid to voice your opinion because you do not like confrontation or dissension? Perhaps if that is true, we should voice our opinion honestly and firmly. Then if the person or persons we are talking to just wants to argue, our answer might be, “I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that subject.”
   Perhaps the time has come where we have to be strong in our convictions and stand fast for the things we believe in. Our adversarial opponents seem to feel they have a right to scream their views at us and to the world so don’t we have a right to bear witness to what we believe? Of course we do!
   We have our right to stand and proclaim our beliefs and our doctrine; however some of our politicians are trying to take that right away from us. I am not an expert on Scripture but I do recall that somewhere the Apostle Paul advised us, “Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, behave like men, and be strong.”
   In a discussion recently I was asked, “Do you really think that you, as one person, can make a difference in politics?” Yes of course I can, but to do so I need to start by convincing YOU of that.   
   Any one person can make a difference, but that person has to at least have some idea of what they are talking about. We all need to be better informed. I am not suggesting we go out and look for a person to try to change. I am saying we need to be informed to discuss it if the person comes along. If we become aware of the truths and the good people in politics (Yes there are a lot of them), we will be drawn toward them and they will be drawn toward us.
   Dieter F. Uchtdorf, A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints First Presidency made several comments in a talk he gave in May 2013. He talked about the diversity in the Church, not only in politics, but in cultural and social preferences as well--- This strengthens the Church and helps us be a strength to those who we work with and associate with, and even the everyday conversations we have together.
   He also made the comment that he did not believe that there is a God who would set up rules and commandments, only to have us fail so he could punish us. I agree completely with him on these points.
   As Disciples of Christ we are urged to speak up for what we think is right. When we do speak up we should be informed about what we are speaking on. We should discuss with kindness and we should remember we not only have the right to voice our opinions but we have the responsibility to do so.
   Our vocal opponents would like nothing better than to have us just sit back and be quiet and they in great groups of people profess their beliefs to the world.
   As bad as we think our problems are, not only politically but many others, I hope we do not forget we live in the greatest country in the world. Let us all get involved so we may keep it that way.

   WELL I NOW HAVE MY SOAP-BOX DIATRIBE FINISHED –I HOPE AT LEAST FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.

W.R. Baldwin

7 July 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment