Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2015

HIGHWAY 89



                                                          HIGHWAY 89

In my day, which of course was MANY YEARS ago the ultimate Road Trip was to take Route 66. There was a lot of press about it and also a popular song about it. I did travel a little of it in Northern Arizona but never really got the pleasure of doing any large part of it. Route 66 has now been mostly integrated with many other roads, and of course because of that it has lost the intrigue it used to have.

What I did not realize at the time was we had our own famous Highway that went right through the whole State of Utah. It actually went from the border of Canada to the border of Mexico. Highway 89 is probably one of the most scenic Highways in the United States, and probably has the most diversified scenery. It is sad to say, but I guess we call it progress and growth, but a lot of Highway 89 has also been integrated into the Freeway system. However there is enough left of it and a LARGE variety of things to see and do, that still makes it “A place to see.” It starts at the Montana/Canada border and goes south to the Arizona/Mexico border.

One place I have stopped at for years for a meal is Mom’s Café in Salina. When I was a salesman traveling in Southern Utah I always tried to be there for either Breakfast or lunch. My two favorite things were to have a Scone (very large and yummy tasting) or a French Dip sandwich. Occasionally I got off track and ordered something else, but very rarely. And I always came back to my two favorites.

As I traveled for many years I developed a curiosity or a likeing for architecture in the old homes in southern Utah. One strange thinbg was the MANY houses that had what was called a door to no where. I was a door on the second floor of the house and it opened up into "Just Space." There was no porch, no landing on the ourside. Just a door that actually went Nowhere. There were a lot of stories about them and the stories were all different. I still am not sure what they were used for.

One year, when I was younger, I was going to try and follow it from Montana, at least through the State of Arizona. However I never did make it. I have traveled a lot of it in Montana, Utah and Arizona and just the parts I have seen are spectacular to a history "buff" like me

                                                             FAIRVIEW lAKE

Like Route 66 we also had a song about it. Actually the song became popular long before the location near Marysville, Utah did. The story goes, that the someone put a sign by the highway as a joke and it stuck. The geological mountains with their colors, and what a lot of people call the “stinking” Lemonade Spring has been called THE BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN ever since. I remember that Burl Ives was the one who made the song popular in my day, although it was written long before my time. It is a Resort now with River Rafting, Zip line Rides, ATV rentals and a Biking trail. It really is a place that you should stop and see.

.           
      











                    HIGHWAY 89
Highway 89-Utah is a traveler’s dream.
Any scenery you want is there to be seen.
There are mountains so majestic they touch the sky.
So slow down a little, do not just pass them by.

In fact as you drive that famous Highway
You should plan each stop, to each last a day.
There are deserts and mountains and coral sand dunes to see,
Ghost Towns, Scenic Byways and common people like me.

There are trails all around to ride your ATV,
With beautiful views for your family to see.
Food is bountiful, either Gourmet or a snack.
I look at the beauty around, while eating my meal in a sack.

There are lakes of blue, where you can fish or boat.
If you catch a BIG ONE, people expect you to gloat.
You can fish in a river, a pond or lake that you like
Then return to “home base” for a ride on your trail bike.

Slow down when you drive, don’t be in a hurry.
Get on I-15 if you feel you must scurry.
Don’t speed up the canyons, or rush lunch in the park.
But find a place to sleep before it gets dark.

The tourists in a hurry to get to Las Vegas it seems
Travel I-15 and can’t remember what they have seen.
So some wise man on the east side of the mountain, did say,
Let’s call “89” “Heritage Highway” and let’s start today.

On “89” you will not a skyscraper see-- but you speeders beware!
They want you to see museums, and in Art Gallery’s you’ll stare.
They want you to see the heritage, Historic Sites and such.
They even have a Columbian Mammoth, but do not touch.  

As I traveled “89”, many years ago—now I see.
I discovered what to me was a great mystery.
Houses with a second floor door I would see.
I was told they were for Angels or for polygamy?

“Heritage Highway” is still there in its glory.
 If you are a tourist and travel it you will not be sorry
Schedule a lot of time, because there is much to do,
And when you head for home, you will say I am not through.

A Highway “89” Blog could go on forever it seems
So in addition to my Blog—here is a list for your dreams.
All are connected to Old Highway “89”
And many others are not listed—I don’t have the time.

NOTEABLE PLACES—
The Grand Canyon
Cedar Breaks
Zion National Park
Bryce National Park
Bear Lake
Jackson, Wyoming
Teton National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park

There are many small lakes and ponds just a few miles off of Highway “89”
Most close to Fairview, Utah.
Gooseberry Res.
Cleveland Res.
Boulder Res.
Electric Lake
Fairview Lakes
Schofield Res.
Benches Pond
Joe’s Valley Res.
Millers Flat

Well just typing this has brought back a lot of great memories for me.
I hope some of you who follow my Blog’s will enjoy it also.

W.R. Baldwin
July 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment