Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

ICONIC CAR / ICONIC TOWN

 
   There are a lot of people who collect Iconic cars for a lot of different reasons. They collect Muscle cars, just OLD CARS, rebuilt "oldie moldies", and each person usually does it because they connect to a certain car.
   Well the car above is one of a kind as it was remodeled several times and I am sure the parts used were not OEM. The Model "A" was owned by a couple of my friends in a small town , a long time ago.
   There were a lot of kids that learned to drive in that old Model "A". I was one of them and if my recollection is working today, I was quite a bit short of being of age to  have a drivers license?
   I worked in the Service Station, in my small hometown for a while and I recall we kept the old car running with used motor oil (that was drained out of peoples cars when they brought them in for an oil change.) We also kept it in "runnable" tires by scavenging the old junked tires behind the garage.
   My buddies used the Model "A" mostly to run around town, go to the grocery store, post office or garage. Between the guys and their Dad they kept it running.
   We also took it up North Fork to cut Christmas Trees, usually with a foot of snow on the road. We also used it to go rabbit hunting, and they hauled a lot of stuff around in it after they took the rumble seat out and put a home made truck bed on it.
   After the guys went in the Armed Forces in the late 1940's and early 1950's the girls took over the car. At one time I think they even painted it "GREEN." I am not sure who named it ":The Hot Rod" but that is what it was called by those who knew it well, Ha Ha.
   The girls in the car above are my sister and the sister of the guys that owned the car.
   When I mentioned collectable Iconic cars, I guess this one just collected memories for a lot of people a long time ago in a small town. ----Touche.











1 comment:

  1. How many people from Hiawatha learned to drive in this car?

    ReplyDelete