Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

Monday, November 11, 2013

A VET and a GRANDPA






 
   What caused this Blog to pop into my head was because I got a call today from my 7 year old grandson. Today was Veteran's Day and they talked about Veteran's at his school.
   The important question he wanted answered was---- did any of the planes I ever flew in ever get shot at or have bullet holes in them.
   Well the short answer is NO. I was fortunate that even though I enlisted during the time of the Korean War, I did not have to do any combat time.
   I enlisted in the US Air Force, at the same time many of my friends did. I was in the United States for the first six months getting training in Texas and Colorado ---then three years in Germany-- then the last six months before my discharge I was in Kansas.
   I am not sure my grandson Caleb got the answer he wanted to his question? I think the kids now days play to many War Video games so they cannot even comprehend what real war is like. I am not sure that I even understand what it is like. I have some friends that could tell them and it is not fun and games and it is not pretty and glorified like it is on the video games.
   Then to answer Caleb's question:
Yes I am a Vet.
Yes I am proud of it.
Yes I enjoyed my time in the Air Force (but remember I was not in a combat zone.)
Yes four years was long enough for me.
No there were no bullets hit any of the planes I was flying in.
No there were no bullets shot at any plane I was in.
Yes I would do it again if I was 19 years old again.
   One real plus I got while in Germany was I was on the ground crew if a precision flying team called the "Skyblazers". They were in our squadron and they went all over Europe putting on air shows and we got to go with them most of the time.
   So if you want to know more I guess you will have to come and stay with Grandpa a day or two.

1 comment:

  1. I showed him your pictures, too. And I guess you know what his next question was, right? "Grandpa had hair?!?!!!"

    ReplyDelete